Friday, September 19, 2008

That's better!

The teacher moved the desks! She actually moved Myrtle away from everyone else--not just Ellie. I volunteered in class again today and Ellie was much more attentive. Of course, that is likely because I was there. Still, I think having the desks moved will help a lot.

After being in an elementary school classroom for the first time since I was in elementary school, I believe there is something fundamentally wrong with the way we teach kids. It is painfully obvious that asking twenty 6 and 7 year olds to sit, look at a board, and listen attentively to a teacher for 40 minutes is impossible. It isn't all the kids, of course. There's a minority of kids who can sit and concentrate that long. But most can't and some REALLY can't. That poor teacher!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess they need more volunteers...good for you.