Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A new post!

Well, I didn't think I'd be able to write too many posts while I was working, but I didn't expect to write NONE. But the last few weeks have felt pretty relentless. I think if I enjoyed the job more, the whole process would be easier. But this job is quite draining. I am glad I only have one more week of it. Plus I'm still trying to help my dad get set up with doctors and all, so that's how I spend my lunch hour (lunch half hour, actually). Then there's dinner and getting Ellie to bed and laundry and whatever else there is to do before I pass out on the couch. Greg has been an amazing help, but he has a lot of work to do, too, so let's just say I'm tired.

In happier news, Ellie is well on her way to becoming a communist. When she was little, she used to point to buildings and parks and places and call them "the people's." We would drive along in the car, and she would pipe up from the back seat, "Look! It's the people's store! Look! It's the people's house!" And Greg and I would answer, "Yes, comrade, it is The People's store."

Well, now she's become obsessed with learning Russian. She answers all yes or no questions with da or nyet. She's recently expanded it by answering all requests with da spasibo or nyet spasibo (spasibo means thank you). And Greg is teaching her goodbye (poka) and hello (privet), along with a few other words. We expect that any day she'll start ranting about the rise of the proletariat.

5 comments:

Aunt Lalie said...

See? Look what happens when you don't post. Your daughter becomes a communist. (JK!)

But seriously, it is good for her to learn different languages. She may become a UN translator one day. Keep encouraging her! Now is the best time in her life for her to learn languages anyway (it comes more easily).

Pegeen said...

Maybe if you stay home, she'll go back to memorizing Mama Mia.

Aunt Gee said...

Geez! It's a good thing we're not in the McCarthy era. Though the way the radical right is painting everyone left of them a socialist, we could be headed back that way.
Anyway, she's a very bright girl who will be a renaissance woman, I bet!

Aunt Lalie said...

For my favorite niece who is no dummy, but I thought who might find this interesting:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/saying-hello-and-goodbye-in-russian.html

Mrs. E said...

Ah! Early instinct for languages & of course, a deep & passionate Russian soul.