Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Squinkies and more

New little-kid fad: Squinkies

They look like this:



And you can read all about them here: Squinkies

They're overpriced, chokeable, and the company intentionally misspells a word in the title. So, of course, they are flying off the shelves and we had to go to two different Targets to find them. Ellie gets an allowance now, plus she just got a dollar for her tooth, so she had enough to buy them herself. And she had to have them because two girls in her class have them, even though she didn't know what they were called. She thought they were called Squishies. We'll see if she still likes them in a week.

My Acting Debut

Many of you have heard already that I joined up with a community theater in my area. I helped out with costumes when they put on The Philadelphia Story a few months ago, and I hope to be helping with props for their next production, Dial M for Murder. Over the summer, the theater did an acting workshop for anyone who wants to do it, and everyone who does the workshop gets cast in a one-act play that they will perform at the end of the six weeks. I was cast in a small role in a one-act called Controlling Interest. I had a TON of fun workshopping it and rehearsing it, and when we performed it, it went over amazingly well. It went so well during the workshop, that we were asked to re-perform it during the annual banquet that the community theater does. Wow.

Last weekend, I went to the banquet and performed it again. I don't think it went as well the second time, and I know I didn't have the same energy the second time that I did the first time. I'm not totally sure why, but the first time was on a stage and the second time was in a room with tables around and people eating and drinking and I was more aware of people watching me. But even if I sucked, the whole experience was so much fun. The one-act was originally written as a film, and we found a trailer for it online. It's just a trailer, so it's snippets of the play, but you can get a general idea of what it's like.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=825130809683866008#

3 comments:

Aunt Gee said...

I just don't remember having fads in grade school other than Barbies. I guess companies and entrepreneurs have gotten so much better at figuring out how people can spend money. Some of it ends up in landfills and some become collectibles way down the road. You never know which it will be.
I applaud you for getting involved in community theatre. Sounds like a natural for you!

Aunt Lalie said...

Are the Squishies - I mean Squinkies - still a hit? Your little girl sure is growing up. Love and hugs to you all!!

Not Hannah said...

Jeez, I hope my girlie doesn't catch wind of those things. Blech.