Thursday, March 3, 2011

You can't unknow this. You just know it now.

I had a wonderful time in Manhattan and Long Giland. Gen and Larry were fantastic hosts. I think it was the longest time that I've ever been away from Ellie and I missed her a lot, but it was also very relaxing.

So, apparently, some dogs need to have their anal glands expressed. I didn't know that. I didn't know anything about that. But it's true. And while we were driving out to Long Island, Larry informed Gen that their dog Ruby stunk a little bit and they would probably need to bring her in to the vet to undergo this extremely disturbing procedure. In fact, he called right then from the car and made an appointment for the next morning at 10:30am.

And the next day, Larry and Miles brought Ruby in so that the vet could squeeze her anal sacs, squirt the contents into some kind of napkin, and spray a candy-cane-scented spray around her general butt area. To spruce it up a bit.

Anyway, I decided that if I have to know that this happens in the world, so do you.

4 comments:

Nana said...

And thanks for that.

Aunt Gee said...

That was the most memorable part of your trip? Your followers want to know more...

Lisa said...

It was the most disturbing part of my trip. Okay, I'll write more!!

Aunt Lalie said...

Cats need it too. Two of mine need to have it done every 6 months or so. I could learn to do it myself, but I think it's well worth the $25 to have someone else do it!!