Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I get all my astronomy information from Star Trek

So Ellie and I were driving home and she was looking up in the sky at the clouds, which were all wispy looking and pretty. She asked if the clouds were going to move up in the sky and I said, "The clouds can be in all kinds of different places. They aren't fixed in one spot like the moon." And she asked, "Is there just one moon?" And I answered with too much information like I always do, "Our planet has just one moon. Other planets have more than one moon." She asked, "Do some planets have eight moons?" And I said, "I don't think so, but some have two moons." "And some have three moons?" she asked, and I said, "Yeah." Then I realized that I was probably thinking of the planets in Star Trek and I'm not sure how many moons any real planets have (other than ours, of course). But I can tell her that Mr. Spock's home planet Vulcan has no moon and the Delta Quadrant planet of Ilari has at least five.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No planets in our solar system have eight moons, but Jupiter has SIXTY-THREE. Personally, I think it's rude that Jupiter is hogging all the moons, and should share a little. Mars has 2, btw.

Lisa said...

Sixty-three?! Wow. I had no idea.