We spent a day in Berkeley today and we were running all around and playing a game where Ellie was the leader and I had to follow her and do exactly what she did. We started out just walking around and picking up leaves and sticks and then Ellie decided that whenever a bus passed us we had to run behind a tree and hide. Then we decided that some of the people walking by on the sidewalk were dangerous people and we had to hide from them. Ellie was directing everything we were going to do. We hid in a little alcove next to the sidewalk and I had to pick Ellie up and carry her down. She said, "You have to pick me up because I'm little. But little or big, I'm still the leader." So we hunkered down and hid whenever a person walked by, which was about every 5 seconds. We were getting ready to climb out of our hiding spot and make a run for it and Ellie said, "I may be little, but I have to be brave." She was so cute. Then Ellie decided that we should split up and she should hide by herself in the alcove and I should do something else. She said, "You should go out and talk to people and tell them there are dangerous people here." I had to call off the game right there, cause I draw the line at looking like a paranoid schizophrenic.
On the way to Berkeley
"Mommy, I want to have a date with Lauren."
"A playdate?"
"No, a date."
"What would you do on a date?"
"Go to a restaurant. Have a real meal."
Come on, everyone's doing it
Ellie told me she was sitting outside at snacktime and telling the other kids that she is allergic to grass. Someone noticed that she was sitting next to some grass and all the kids started chanting at once, "Touch it! Touch it! Touch it!" I asked if she touched it and she said yes. That kindergarten peer pressure is rough.
3 comments:
The sad thing is that it appears that Ellie has a better idea of what to do on a date than I do
I love Ellie's comments about being brave and still being the leader whilst being small. What a self-possessed girl. Did you ask her why she touched the grass? Did that lead to further discussion? Like, what if they told you to run out in the street?
I asked her later what she would do if they told her to run in the street and she said she wouldn't do it. I asked why and she said because she might get run over. So she seems to understand that she shouldn't put herself in danger.
Post a Comment