
She's gotten to the point where she will recite a great deal of it with me, which is really fun because the book is so well written and so fun to read. It's just great to see her have fun with the poetry of it.
Here are some lines she likes to say with me:
"And with great skillful skill and with great speedy speed,
I took the soft tuft. And I knitted a Thneed!"
"I saw something pop out of the stump
of the tree I chopped down. It was sort of a man.
Describe him?...That's hard. I don't know if I can."
"Then Oh, baby Oh, how my business did grow!" (We say this one with a Southern drawl.)
"At the far end of town
where the Grickle-grass grows"
And, of course, the best stanza in the book:
"I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees.
I speak for the trees, for the trees have to tongues.
And I'm asking you, sir, at the top of my lungs--
he was very upset as he shouted and puffed--
What's that THING you've made out of my Truffula tuft?"
Brilliant.
No comments:
Post a Comment