We went to a birthday party yesterday that was all about dressing up in princess dresses, curling hair, putting on makeup and having a princess parade. They had stations where one of the moms put makeup on the girls and really gussied them up with eyeliner, eyeshadow, blush and lip gloss. Then at another station, other moms curled their hair, then they got into their dresses and fancy shoes. Ellie looked like a beautiful princess and a little like Jon Bonet Ramsey. It was a lot of fun and a little disconcerting.
Ellie took all of it in stride, even having two curling irons in her hair at once. I was a little nervous about the curling irons, but I think that's because I had a bad childhood experience with a curling iron. My grandma (who was very girlie and into makeup and clothes, etc) decided to curl my hair when I was very young and she accidentally burned my cheek pretty badly. I think I had a second degree burn. I don't remember the incident, but I do remember being very anxious when I got my hair curled growing up. My mom was furious, partly because she burned me and partly because my mom rebelled against my grandma's incessant primping and making herself pretty. She thought it was outrageous to curl a little girl's hair.
But back to the party. After the parade, the girls sat under a little canopied table with tulle all around it and ate tea sandwiches, fruit bowls and lemonade out of stemmed glasses. Of course, Greg and I forgot to bring our camera (long story) but we'll get a few pictures from our friends and I'll forward them along. The parade and everything was SO cute.
No comments:
Post a Comment