Here's the story of my hair:
My hair is going gray. Though it's not quite to the point that my brother's hair is, it's darn light. So I decided to color it. Greg and Ellie and I were in Dominick's about a week ago and I spotted a box of hair color on sale for $3.99. It was bright red--a little brighter and bolder than my natural color--but it looked vibrant. The girl on the box was obviously very happy and excited about her hair, and I was pretty sure that if I had that color hair, I would be too.
So I showed the box to Greg and he agreed that the color was nice and the girl was cute and at $3.99 you can't go wrong. We bought it and I put it away for awhile, but a few nights ago I pulled it out and decided to use it.
The dyeing part was uneventful. I decided to skip the strand test and the allergy test to save time and got right to pouring the dye all over my hair. Ellie kept the time for me while I was waiting to rinse it out. We all had a good laugh about how bright the dye was and how my wet hair sticking out everywhere with the red dye dripping down my neck made it look like I had suffered a major gunshot wound to the head and my brains were falling out. Good times.
But when I rinsed it out, a LOT of dye came out. More than I remember from the relatively few times I've dyed my hair in my life. You're supposed to keep rinsing it until it runs clear, and it seemed like it never got clear. After a long time, I decided it was done and I toweled it dry, brushed it, and let the air finish drying it while I got Ellie to bed. Once she was in bed, I ran back to the bathroom to take a look in the mirror at my new self.
My hair was very, very bright but only on the top of my head. It was not the vibrant, glowing bright that the girl on the box was so happy about. It was the jolting, neon kind of bright that clowns wear so they can scare children. The dye was concentrated right along the part line, while the sides of my head along my ears were my own color and there was no dye anywhere under the top layer of hair. I looked like someone dropped a big bucket of red paint on me from far above and it had splattered and oozed down my head.
I quickly got in the shower to try to wash the whole thing out. I washed my hair twice, each time with a large dollop of shampoo. I didn't use any conditioner because they tell me that conditioners lock things in and I didn't want anything locked in. But when I got out of the shower and toweled my hair again, I could tell that it hadn't done anything. I still looked like Carrie after she got back from the prom.
There wasn't much to do except go to bed and deal with it the next day....
(Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion to my hair story)
5 comments:
I'm glad it only cost 90 bucks! I'm about to go spend my usual $300 (not including tip!) next week. I never wanted my hair to be so high maintenance, but I can't stand not being blond... I wanna see some pics!
Did you take any pix of the dye job before it was fixed?
Nah, probably not...
But do send a photo of the new you!
Gen, what do you do that costs that much?? Or are you paying for the expertise of some high-falutin hair guru?
Gretchen, no I didn't take a pic of the bad dye job. I'm going to try to post a pic of my new hair to my facebook page today.
Well OF COURSE they're high fallutin! I mean, it's new york city, for crying out loud! But seriously, it's highlights (which is more labor intensive and time consuming than single process), they put in 3 different colors (gotta have my low lights!), and then there's the cut (which takes forever and they use,like, four different kinds of scissors), and then the blow out. Not to mention the shampoo and mini shoulder massage... all while drinking herbal tea. So, now that I think about it, it sounds like a bargain! I'll post a photo to Facebook next week after I go in.
And I just spend $16.00 (which includes tip!) at The Hair Cuttery. Guess you get what you pay for, based on recent pics of me.
Post a Comment