Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Precocious little so and so

You have to be on your toes all the time with those kids.

Ellie: I want a snack before bed.
Me: Okay, go get it.
Ellie: Can I have a cookie and a waffle?
Me: Okay, sure... um... wait, what did you say?
Ellie: I said can I have a cookie and a waffle?
Me: No, that's too much.
Ellie: But you said I could!
Me: I know, but I was distracted and I wasn't listening to you. I shouldn't have said yes.

(Ellie eats a cookie, then leaves and goes downstairs. I come down five minutes later and Greg is making her a waffle.)

Me: Wait a minute! I told her she couldn't have a waffle after a cookie!
Greg: She told me she wanted a waffle for a snack.
Me: Ellie...
Ellie: I can explain! I can explain!
Me: Okay, explain.
Ellie: See, when you said I couldn't have it, I wasn't listening to you. I was distracted.

2 comments:

Auntie Anne said...

That is hysterical! You really do have to watch everything you say!!

Aunt Lalie said...

Smart as a whip, that little one! And since when are whips smart? Hmmm ...