Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ellie learns a valuable lesson

Ellie went to her new best friend's house yesterday. They met each other at camp. When I came to pick her up, her friend's mom told me that they had played together so well and that Ellie was such a sweet and polite girl. Aw shucks...

Her mom also said that at one point Ellie called her out after she responded to them about something. Ellie said, "You're being sarcastic," and her mom said, "Wow, that's a good use of that word. You must be very smart." I said it's because Ellie's mom is sarcastic a lot and she had to learn that word very early in life.

When we were leaving, the girls did not want the playdate to end. They ran around the house and hid and we had to threaten them with no more playdates if they couldn't say goodbye to each other. As they walked to the front of the house, Ellie's new best friend leaned over and whispered that she should grab some of the green onions they had growing in their yard and eat them so that her breath would stink and I wouldn't want to take her home with me. Ellie thought that sounded like an excellent idea, so she did.

It took about five seconds of chewing for Ellie to realize that the onions tasted terrible. She spit them out. Then she spit out her spit. Then she hacked and coughed and spit again. But the taste wasn't going away so she cried and gagged and almost threw up a few times on the way home until I took pity on her and got her an ice cream bar to cover the taste.

She could not understand why her friend would tell her to do something that was so clearly a bad idea. I hope it's a lesson (one of many) not to automatically do what your friends tell you to do.

4 comments:

Aunt Lalie said...

That's a good lesson to learn. Too bad she must have the yucky memory of onions in her mouth to learn it, but hopefully it sticks.

Besides, onions *are* icky! Best to avoid them. :)

Genevieve said...

So true. Sorta reminds me of the story about the one best friend who said to the other best friend, "Here you go, why don't you jut crawl into this here dryer. I'll shut the door and..." Oh no!

I hope Ellie's new friendship is as long lasting as ours! :)

Lisa said...

I know...I thought of that when she did it! The two of them do remind me of us when we were kids. It's like the world is ending when I pick them up and they have to say goodbye to each other.

Lisa said...

I should have said when I pick Ellie up...