Friday, August 22, 2008

Almost time for first grade!

School starts next week! We went to school and after standing in a looooooong line, we got the room and teacher assignments and school supply list. It was lots of fun to see school friends and run around the grounds looking for the new room and meeting Ellie's new teacher. Ellie had to sign her name to a couple of items and she very proudly wrote her name in cursive. Ellie and her two best friends are all in different classes, which is the same as it was last year. We were pretty amazed that they could all three end up with different teachers two years in a row, but we thought the teachers might have planned it that way. Apparently, the teachers get together at the end of the year and deliberately split kids up if they think they will be too distracted together. They also split up the kids who were "bad influences" on each other the previous year. So Gen, if you're reading this, I think I know why we ended up in different 5th grade classes!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it very hard to believe that August is almost over...it went by soooo fast. And almost as hard to believe that Ellie isn't already in 2nd grade. She's so smart and funny.
Enjoying your blogs!
Love,
Gretchen

Lisa said...

Thank you!

Genevieve said...

Yes. I'm sure that's why we were split up. I also recall I was once referred to as a "bad influence" by your mother upon our first playdate. I'm glad I eventually won her over. Maybe we should teach Ellie and her friendlies the sign language alphabet so she can communicate incognito (sorta) when they're all in the auditorium or something!

Lisa said...

Yeah, if I remember right, our secret sign language communication had a lot of "HUH?" "WHAT?" "Start over!" comments interspersed, so it took about 20 minutes to convey one sentence.

Anonymous said...

Teachers definitely split up kids who they think won't work well together, or kids who have grown too attached and need to branch out a bit more...
But how would they have known that about Ellie and her friends if they had not been in the same class last year?

Lisa said...

Well, Ellie and her two friends have known each other forever and in kindergarten they would find each other every second they weren't in class and stick together. So the teachers could tell that they were close friends. It was a fluke that they weren't in the same kindergarten classes, but I think the teachers might have planned it that way for this year. I don't know for sure, though.