Saturday, October 4, 2008

Her first disaster movie

We're going crazy here so I haven't had time to post. I know you all understand. But I'm tired and resting now, so I'll post a little snippet of our day.

Ellie and I drove all over the place today running errands and I kept her busy by telling her the story of the Titanic. No, I am not a sick mom. Well, yes I am, but I didn't think to talk about the Titanic. She went to a friend's house to play yesterday and they watched the movie Titanic. I would not have thought of it as a kid's movie, but apparently it's her friend's favorite movie. I asked what she remembered of it and she couldn't remember much of anything. She wanted me to tell her what happened.

I said, "Well, don't worry, after the ship crashed, they got all the kids out." She said, "The ship crashed?" I said, "Oh, didn't you get to that part?" She said, "No, we turned it off before that."

Hmmmmm.... so now I must explain a big disaster where lots of people died. Should I candy coat it? Nah.... well, maybe a little. I explained the whole thing about the iceberg and how they didn't have enough lifeboats and I said they saved all the kids and mommies and daddies but some people died. And that was sad but the good thing was that they learned from their mistakes and now all big ships have enough lifeboats so if there's a crash then everyone will be saved.

And then she wanted to know who Rose was on the Titanic and I explained that even though there really was a Titanic and it really did crash, that the people who made the movie just made up a character named Rose and she wasn't real. And I have no idea of that concept made any sense. I'm thinking it didn't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're not taking a big ship back to the Midwest! Safe travel anyway! See you in November.

Anonymous said...

I've missed your posts! I'm glad she didn't get to the end of the movie...she might not want to go swimming again.
See you soooon.

Anonymous said...

Will you be Lisa in Callinois now?