Saturday, October 25, 2008

I do hate those things, but I don't want to hurt em

I was driving home from dinner with Aunt Gen when a possum ran out in front of my car and stopped in the middle of the street. I swerved and almost missed it. I could feel my back wheel clip the creature as I winced, hunched down over the steering wheel, and swore under my breath.

I looked into the rear-view mirror and saw the possum run to the other side of the street. It looked okay. Phew! Then, of course, I immediately came up alongside a police car. I was sure the policeman was going to pull me over for swerving wildly around the street, but he (or she) didn't. I just drove past, through the light, and down the road.

That was a scary ride home!

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

Aunt Gen hit a possum many years ago on her way to the theatre in Atlanta. It was awful. The poor guy writhed in the street and spewed blood. Don't tell Ellie. Then my theatre compadres mocked me because I called it an "opossum" instead of a "possum." They called me a "yankee." A few of them were black too. Go figure.