I've had a nasty cough with this cold, and when the coughing gets bad, I can hear a high-pitched wheezing deep in my chest. In fact, the thing that prompted me to go in was that the wheeze was so loud that Greg could hear it while he was sitting across from me on a different couch.
So I made a point to tell the nurse practitioner about this wheezing sound, and she said, "I did hear a wheezing sound twice when I listened to your chest, but that wheezing is something you can only hear with a stethoscope."
That confused me, because I know I heard myself wheezing, so I said, "I could hear it earlier, though."
"You can hear the stuff rattling around in your throat, that junky sound that comes with post-nasal drip," she said. "But a deeper wheezing in the chest is something you can't hear with the ear. You need a stethoscope."
"No, it wasn't rattly," I said. "It was high, like wheeeee." I made a squealy sound that went up at the end. It was a pretty good imitation. But she wasn't convinced.
"No, that's the kind of sound you can only hear with a stethoscope. Not with just your ear," she said.
"You calling me a liar?" I said, getting up from my chair. "Because we can call my husband right now and he'll tell you the same thing. He heard it from the couch next to me."
"I don't need to talk to you or your old man," the nurse said, tossing her stethoscope on the bed and rising up to meet me. "You're so sure you can hear wheezing in your lungs, huh? Let me ask you something. Did you go to nursing school for six years? Are you $165,000 in debt? Do you have a stethoscope? I didn't think so. So whatever it is you think you heard, you didn't. You're not qualified."
"Oh, okay," I said, sitting back down. "I guess I didn't hear it, then."
"Damn right you didn't," the nurse practitioner said. "Now let me write you that prescription for Albuterol and we'll have you on your way."
(Everything before "You calling me a liar?" is true. Also, I don't know for sure, but I think that after she looked in my ears with her lightscope thing, she didn't change anything and just stuck it directly up my nose. Which didn't seem too sanitary to me. So I don't think I'll go back to the walk-in clinic at Walgreens.)
***
In other news, opening weekend of the play went better than I thought it would. Yay! Here were the mishaps: During one performance, the briefcase sat on the stage doing nothing until we finally figured out that it needed to come off for the last scene and picked it up just in time---phew. During another performance, an actor forgot to bring his raincoat onto the stage, so another actor had to run off the stage to grab it. In another panicked moment, we almost missed our cue to go onstage and change a scene. Another time we thought we were missing our cue but we weren't and I ended up standing in the hallway when an actor opened the "front door" and I was visible to part of the audience for a second before I bolted back into the props room.
Not too bad for opening weekend. I hope and anticipate that it will get smoother and we will have fewer mistakes for the next four weekends.
5 comments:
I have said for years that you have a lot of earwax in your nose. Now I have proof!
You should write about your wonderful apple pie...Gretchen would appreciate that as she has started a Pie of the Month Club. I'm joining. But I wouldn't mind joining two clubs.
Okay, I made an applie pie with apples that Greg and Ellie picked when they went on a trip to Michigan. It was from a recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook and a crust from the Pillsbury refrigerator section at the grocery store. Nana and Greg both said it was good, but I can't taste it on account of my cold. Is the pie of the month a recipe swap?
Bruce has been complaining for years about my not making pies and I've contended that it's too much work for too little return. For our 20th anniversary I printed up twelve cards headed by a Pie of the Month Club logo I put together and with photos I found on the web of different pies. I found a great pie dough recipe in Cooks Illustrated and made strawberry rhubarb pie in Sept. and banana cream pie this month. We had friends over both times and I got raves. The filling in the latter pie was in Cooks Illustrated also. If you want recipes, just let me know. Your way of making pies is much simpler and less time-consuming (except for paring and slicing all of those apples!)
Miss you guys!
I would love recipes as long as I can substitute pillsbury crusts.
Post a Comment