Yesterday I had to make an unexpected trip to visit my dad, because there was an issue with his phone. I got out there in the afternoon and dealt with the phone issue, and then we decided to head out to the dilapidated farm that he rents as a place to store his stuff. I've been trying to convince him that he can't afford to keep so much stuff in storage and he has to throw a lot of it away. I finally started to make headway and get him to possibly agree, but he wanted to go out and find a jewelry box to take with him.
So we left to drive out there at around 5:30pm, which is a bad time to leave when it takes 45 minutes to get there, there's no electricity at the farm, and we have to search through enormous stacks of stuff to find one jewelry box.
And when we got there, we met this guy:
When I saw that guy, there was no way I was going to get out of the car. Dad said, "He just looks mean. He's really nice." I said, "You don't know that! He could be mean. I'm not leaving this car."
The dog started whimpering and sniffing around the car. Here's a picture of him nosing around:
"See! He's whimpering. He's nice," Dad said. Sure, his whimpering sounded cute, but look at that head! Those cold, dead eyes! I knew he was going to bite me.
"Should I get out of the car?" Dad asked. "Go ahead," I said. "If he attacks you, then I'll know I should stay in." Dad grabbed his cane and started to get out of the car. As soon as the door opened, the dog started nosing his way in, and I freaked out and yelled, "Shut the door! Shut the door!" He shut the door.
"He scares the wits out of you, doesn't he?" Dad asked.
"You don't know that dog! You don't know what he's been trained to do! That's it... we're leaving." And I started up the car and pulled back out of the lot.
So the trip was fruitless. We ended up stopping at a diner in a teeny tiny town that has "famous pies." How can a diner in a town of 300 people have famous anything? Well, I decided to try the chocolate cream pie and it was the worst pie I ever had. Here's a picture of it. It was godawful.
That was it. A day of driving to fix a phone and eat bad food at a diner. That was worth it.



2 comments:
I think the dog would have been barking if he were mean. Did his tail wag? Next time take treats.
Too bad about the pie.
Everytime I read what you've written I say to myself something like "Love the way Lisa writes. I'd really like to follow her blog in a consistent way." And then I make a resolution - like for this year. I never get completely discouraged.
Post a Comment