Thursday, January 7, 2010

A pointless story about me buying the Wii Fit Plus

Greg and I decided that because it's the New Year and we have resolutions to lose weight and get toned up, we would get ourselves a Wii Fit Plus. We made the final decision to do it while I was starting to make dinner, so I stopped making dinner and Ellie and I got in the car and drove to the nearest Best Buy to get it.

Well, they didn't have it. Sold out.

Because the customer service at Best Buy sucks and always has sucked from the moment the chain went into existence, I had to ask the bored, sullen, put upon sales guy if he would get him and his soul patch over to a computer and see if it's at another store. By the way, have I ever mentioned how ugly I think the soul patch is? That is some jarringly unattractive facial hair. The Hitler mustache is more flattering than the soul patch.

Anyway, soul patch guy grudgingly informed me that the store in VH had 11 Wii Fit Pluses on the shelf. Then Ellie whiningly informed me that she didn't want to drive around with me to get it. So first I dropped her off at home, then I called Greg and told him to take the potatoes out of the oven, and then I headed to the other store.

Just as I was walking into the store, a woman was walking out holding a Wii Fit Plus. I said, "Do they have many more of those?"

"Nope," she said, holding it up proudly. "This is the last one!"

"WHAT?!" I yelled. "The store by me was out and the guy said they have 11 more here!"

"Yeah, I was at another store and they said they had 12 here. I'm glad I called ahead and reserved mine. They are selling out everywhere." She headed off to her car.

So I walked into Best Buy mad at myself for not thinking to reserve one and mad at Best Buy for selling out and mad at soul patch guy for being wrong about how many were left and, most of all, mad at that woman who got the last one. "Glad you called ahead, huh?" I muttered to myself as I walked through the doors. "Aren't you a busy little beaver? Aren't you a paragon of efficiency, you self-satisfied, super-competent little...."

I walked up to a young guy in a blue shirt and gave him my saddest, most worried look---the look I might give if I had, say, lost Ellie---and asked, "Do you have any more Wii Fit Pluses?"

He said, "Sure! They're right over here!"

And wouldn't you know it, that overachieving little thief was WRONG! There WERE more Wii Fit Pluses! I was saved! Hallelujah!!!!

I was so happy to get it home and set up that very night, that I wasn't even too upset that Greg forgot to take the potatoes out of the oven and they were tiny, shriveled, and completely black. Greg ate them anyway.

And now we have a brand new exercise game that we've played every night. It's a lot of fun. I know Greg will drop a ton of weight quickly. I will stay the same because I have a set weight point that doesn't move more than five pounds in either direction no matter what I do. And we will both build more muscle and tone up our flabbiness. Yay!

3 comments:

Pegeen said...

I didn't think it was a pointless story at all. There were several points in there. The best one is that life is not ALWAYS out to get you! Even if it usually seems so.
Have lots of fun.

Aunt Lalie said...

And the next point is that Best Buy SUCKS no matter where it is. I think that any kind, proactive or helpful impulses a person may have is automatically SUCKED out of you once you put on the Blue Shirt.

Lisa said...

I know! It's like they've been coached on how to ignore customers.