Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Pros: Sweet, easy to train, great with kids, supposed to be all around great dogs.
Cons: I've heard they tend to run away; they are so impossibly cute they've been known to make people's heads explode.
Pug
Pros: Oh, everything. My favorite dog. Pure love.
Cons: So prone to health problems that the AKC put a picture of a pug going to the vet on their website.
Lab
Pros: Easy to train, smart, hard for Ellie to damage.
Cons: Bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark.... will you SHUT UP!
Bichon Frise
Pros: Supposed to be the best breed of dog in terms of personality, ease of training and general health.
Cons: Looks like a marshmallow.
Then, of course, I can't rule out the possibility of going to a shelter and picking up some poor, lost soul that needs a home. So I will include them here as well:
Then, of course, I can't rule out the possibility of going to a shelter and picking up some poor, lost soul that needs a home. So I will include them here as well:
Mutt
Pros: Tends to be healthier than pure breeds and a lot cheaper.
Cons: Don't know what personality you will get.
Any thoughts?









17 comments:
As a certain soup provider on jerry Seinfeld notes, "NO DOG FOO YOU!"
Aren't they all just adorable? I'll have to hunt down the picture I took on my honeymoon. We met a lady walking her dog and it was just the cutest thing - it was a pugle! A mix of a poodle and pug! She said pugles are smart, easy to train and love to cuddle. Good Luck!
Don't you have a puggle next door?
Not all Labs bark so much, but they are bigger and stronger than the others and they shed like you won't like a bit.
The dog next door is a mix of a pug and a beagle and he did call it a pugle. But then I wonder what a pug and a poodle would be called...a poogle?
I hate to be one of those annoying politically correct nags, but I volunteer at an animal shelter these days. Whichever breed you choose, please adopt from a rescue organization or a shelter. You don't know what health or temperament problems you'll get from a disreputable breeder any more than with a shelter dog. Shelters and conscientious rescuers evaluate the health and personalities of all their adoptable animals.
Also, I'd advocate for a dog that's a few years old--out of puppyhood and adolescence. They are much easier to handle and care for. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)
I knew you'd weigh in with that! :) I promise I will look at rescue orgs and shelters. And I like your idea of an older dog.
I think a "puggle" is by definition a cross between a pug and a beagle. I'm not sure there is a cross between a pug and a poodle, except by accident.
I vote not the bichon. They really do look like marshmallows, and when their eyes tear, they stain the fur around their faces. Not too attractive.
I vote pug or mutt. I looked into some pug rescues a while back, and they are definitely around. If we didn't have some mild dog allergies at our house we'd probably have a pug already.
If it's allergies you're concerned about, get a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. They don't have "fur", they have "hair" (or so I've been told). I am allergic to dogs, but I'm not allergic to the Wheaties, so there is something to that. They are so sweet and smart.
Whatever you do, PLEASE do not get a purse dog! I may have to disown y'all. :)
OH ... my mistake. When you said "dog", you meant "cat". Right?!? Esmeralda would be a great kitty for your lovely family.
I second BerkeleyBecca's suggestion--adopt! Whether you decide on a purebred or a mutt, you can find the dog you want by doing a bit of searching on Petfinder.com or AdoptaPet.com. That's how I found my two wonderful mutts.
One other resource to help you figure out which type of dog is best for you...DogBreedInfo.com.
I don't know how I missed this post and went right to Teacher, but I have to weigh in (yes, I've gained a couple of pounds...) Speaking of pounds, I vote for that. I love cats but have two dogs now that I just adore. (Sorry, Greg, but you are going to be outvoted.) I also vote for an older dog. Three years old is about right. Take Nana along because she and Bob will probably be the dogsitters when you are out of town and definitely should have a vote. Have fun choosing!
OK, so of course I had to weigh in here. As much as I love Aunt Lalie and he devotion to animals, I'm not too fond of the Wheatens. Yes, they are hypo-allegenic and don't shed. But every Wheaten I've met has been the hyperist thing. And this is in nyc where people walk their dogs all the time. Never met a cool, mellow Wheaten. Sorry, Wheaties.
Well, yes, a shelter dog would be the best. And you could probably contact a few shelters in your area with specifics about temperment and even breed that you want. I'm sure if you waited long enough, you would eventually find just the right pup. And a lot of these places will encourage you to take a dog home for a week just to make sure you're a good fit.
But, of course, there's nothing like getting a little 8 week old darling that you picked out yourself, and that you will raise all on your own to be the little ball of perfection that you always dreamed of. HA! Ok, not really, but it is amazing to get a little tiny guy and raise him/her.
One other note, if you get a puppy: Lisa, you have a husband working full time and a 7 year old child. YOU will be doing almost everything for that puppy. You will be walking him, house training him, cleaning up accidents, and being his primary companion. It will be a beautiful relationship. But it will be work. And he'll love you for it, and he'll love you the most. But just know going in! Don't count on husbands and children to be responsible!
All right. Just had to weigh in. Can't wait to hear what happens. I still love the Cavalier King Charles guys, but would support you completely on the shelter route. Or anything you choose to love...
Yes, I am quite clear on who will be the primary caregiver in this household. That's one reason an older dog sounds appealing.
I suggest getting a picture of a dog instead, and holding it close and cuddling it when you think of dogs.
I'm partial to Siberian Huskies, of course. And collies. But we also host the http://www.aussierescue.org/ site, and Jayne and Steve (who you met) do a ton of rescue and they'll make sure they don't steer you wrong.
Post a Comment