I've been wanting to get my dad the Life Alert button so he can get help if something happens when he's at home alone. So I called yesterday to find out about prices. You have to go through a customer service agent who gives you a sales pitch before they tell you the price, which is annoying.
Even worse, I decided to call (thinking it would be a simple call) while Ellie had a friend over to play. Ellie and her friend were laughing and shrieking and running around while I was on the phone. And my customer service agent was a woman who probably works there because she has been a Life Alert customer herself for a long time. She probably had to get it the last time she fell and couldn't get up. I'm telling you, this woman is elderly.
She was so sweet and she kept calling me "honey" and "hon" and asking me questions about my dad's health and well being, but she never stopped talking. Asking her a single question was almost impossible. And I only had one question: What happens when someone hits the button in error? That's all I wanted to know.
Here's me trying to ask it:
Me: So, I have a question...
Her: Sure, hon. Just let me ask you, how old is your dad?
Me: He's 76.
Her: Oh, that's so young.
Me: He's an old 76.
Her: Why, people in their 70s could be around another 30 or 40 years!
Me: He won't have it that many years.
Her: We hope our parents will live forever, and I've seen people able to use their Life Alert for many, many years.
Me: He's not one of those people.
Her: Oh, I'm so sorry. I just want you to know that if he were not to need it anymore, we will automatically stop billing. There's nothing to worry about there.
Me: Okay, great. So, what happens if....
Her: How old are those kids? They sound like they're having such a good time!
Me: My daughter is seven, but she has a friend over to play.
Her: That is wonderful! So much fun!
Me: I'll move to another room. So anyway, if...
Her: Oh my God! Look! There's a rainbow!
Me: I can't see it.
Her: It's just the most beautiful rainbow I've ever seen! Oh, it's lovely!
Me: Really? How cool.
Her: Yes! Isn't that great? It's just amazing. Okay, honey, I'm sorry. You had a question?
Me: Yes, I was just wondering...
Her: Hold on, hon. *click*
And she put me on hold! She clearly did not want me to ask her a question. In her defense, she did come back and she did eventually let me ask the question. (The answer was that it's totally fine if he calls in error and the guys who take the call have that happen all the time. I thought about telling her that my dad might call every 10 minutes to discuss how we are destroying our kids' minds with television because he considers that to be an emergency. But I didn't.)
She gave me her name and number and asked that I call her back if I want to order it. That made me think she gets some kind of commission. I do want her to get the commission. But I'd better allot an hour or two to get through the phone call.
3 comments:
Bravo to you and all sons and daughters who look after the well-being of their aging parents. They rarely live up to all our expectations but we love them nonetheless. You are a good daughter...
What about the aging mothers-in-law?
Aging aunts, too. I'm glad Lisa is practicing.
Now I can't stop wondering what they *would* do if he called every 10 minutes to discuss one of his emergencies. Though Life Alert would be a good thing for him to have, since he is alone most of the time. Thank you for checking into it.
Hugs to all!
Post a Comment