Friday, October 23, 2009

The Big O

I love Oprah, and I believe she is evil. Yes, there is a disconnect there. That's why I don't watch Oprah very often. But tonight I came home after being out for the evening to find Greg and Ellie both asleep. So I poured myself a small glass of wine and turned on the TV and there she was.

Tonight was an Oprah's Favorite Things kind of episode, and it included a pair of jeans that Oprah loves. She was wearing the jeans during the show and she leaned over to conspire with all 12 million of us viewers that she wore these jeans for three days in a row because they were so comfortable. And I leaned in to the TV, holding my wine in my left hand so as not to get it in Oprah's way, and conspired that I, too, have a hard time finding jeans that fit. And I, for one, am thrilled to finally meet a woman who truly understands how hard it is to find jeans that work with my boo-tay. And Oprah conspired right back at me that I could get my hands on a miraculous new pair of jeans that will fit like no other jeans I have ever found for a mere $140-$190 a pair. And I was pretty close to asking where to send the check.

And then I remembered that Oprah is QVC if QVC somehow developed the ability to invade your mind and make you do whatever it wanted. I have to turn her off because she is so compelling in her compassion and her empathy and her love for other humans and she has taken her amazing force of personality and decided to sell products with it. That makes my head explode.

(A note: My lovely husband has been very patient with me this month as he's been at the mercy of NaBloWriMo. Poor guy has to deal with me at any moment of the day or night suddenly throwing up my hands and howling, "What am I going to blog about?!?" Last night, he set up my blog page for me and reminded me that I still had to post.)

4 comments:

Nana said...

First, what a guy!
Second, you have a lovely bootay, and any pair of jeans in a size 8 would undoubtedly fit perfectly. I hope Ellie and Greg are over the colds they had.

Lisa said...

Well, thank you. I really don't have that hard of a time finding jeans that fit. It's just the power of Oprah that she made me feel like I do.

Gergery said...

Lisa and I were on the Oprah show once, about 12 years ago. The show was about "New Moms Who Didn't Know What They Were Getting In To". Our friend had just had twins; we were supportive audience.

Before the show Oprah was talking 'round and making lovely small talk with the audience, and talks potential kids wit the lady a row ahead of us.

So, friendly Greg asks Oprah, "When are you going to have kids?"

And WOO-EEE!!!, she was SO compelling in her compassion and her empathy and her love for driving bamboo shoots into my fingernails and pouring hot vinegar over them.

She gave me a look of pure hatred I will never forget. As i found out later, apparently there was some horrible attack in her past and she can never have kids and it sears her soul then thinking of it.

Who knew? I make friends wherever I go.

But I've never been fooled since that she is only compassion and love and a warm cookie.

Aunt G said...

You both have me riveted with your posts! Great writing! Wonderful images...I'm right there with you.