Monday, October 12, 2009

Cookie Dough Truffles

I've got a recipe today.... oooooooooh......

Auntie Anne came over and we sat a bit watching Paula Dean on The Food Network while the kids played. Paula was makin' cookies y'all and one of the recipes was for cookie dough truffles. Good Lord did they look good. We both agreed I should make them, which I did mere hours later. Here is the recipe from Foodtv.com:


Cookie Dough Truffles
Recipe courtesy Angela Lively of Baxter Tennessee

Serves: 5 dozen truffles

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate morsels
  • 1 cup finely chopped pecans
  • 1 1/2 pounds chocolate bark candy coating, melted

Directions

In a large bowl cream butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add vanilla. Gradually beat in flour and add milk. Add chocolate morsels and pecans, mixing well. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place on waxed paper; chill 2 hours.
*Cook's Note: Since the dough is sticky, roll your fingers into flour. This will make it easier to roll.
Melt chocolate bark candy coating in a double boiler. Using 2 forks, dip cookie balls into candy coating to cover. Place on waxed paper and chill to set. Store in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.


Now, I did change it up a bit. I didn't use pecans because Ellie doesn't like nuts. And once I took a closer look at the recipe, I realized I didn't have chocolate bark candy coating. I don't even know what chocolate bark candy coating is. So I didn't use that either. Also, the recipe says it should make 5 dozen cookies and mine made about 15. I mean, come on. How small are these things supposed to be?

I think if I had followed this recipe, I would have made something good. I think the outer coating would be very chocolate-y and the pecans would add a certain flakiness. But what I made was a very oversweet, dense, painfully rich ball of something that is vaguely reminiscent of cookie dough. I would have been better off rolling Nestle Tollhouse Cookie Dough into little balls and throwing them in the fridge.

Ellie LOVED it. Her eyes rolled in the back of her head when she ate it. She told me she wanted me to take all the dough and put it together and sculpt it into a man so she could marry it. When someone says something that disturbing, it's high praise.

It was incredibly easy to make, so I think I'll do it again and actually follow the directions this time.

5 comments:

Aleta said...

"take all the dough and put it together and sculpt it into a man"

That is absolutely THE most priceless thing I have read all year.

Priceless.

Nana said...

I was wondering about the chocolate bark stuff, too. I'd like to hear about the re-make.

Auntie Anne said...

I want a taste of the second batch!

Aunt Lalie said...

I love my niece. I laughed out loud. Besides, if we really did take the dough and sculpt it into a man, how would we describe him, based on your description of the final recipe? Would he be ...

Sweet?
Dense?
Small? (Did your batch make 15 dozen? Or just 15?)
Flaky?

I'm not sure about the "oversweet", but "painfully rich"? I can deal with that.

Thanks for the recipe!

PS: Chocolate bark helps prevent the chocolate from melting.

Lisa said...

I will have to go get me some chocolate bark, then.

My recipe made 15 cookies. Like 1 dozen plus 3. I guess I made them too big. But am I really supposed to roll 60 balls of dough? I am waaay too lazy to do that.