Saturday, October 3, 2009

Iowa

I'm blogging from the great state of Iowa, where we are visiting our friends for the weekend. I will not make this post about the drive here, but I will say it was miserable and took SIX FREAKING HOURS. It took us THREE FREAKING HOURS just to get past Rockford. That's two separate drives in two days in which that city conspired to mess me up, so I have decided to have Rockford whacked. I've got my boy Jimmy Two Shoes working on it.

We've been chatting about the Olympics here and on balance I'm sorry Chicago lost. I know South America hasn't had it yet, and I think it's nice Rio won. And I know it can be a financial nightmare and it would have greased the Chicago machine more quickly than almost anything and the taxpayers would probably have been on the hook eventually and blah blah blah.

The fact is that there is no party better than a Chicago party. The years of the Bulls winning the championship all the time were ... awesome. Even in the later years when we knew Michael would pull off a championship and the rest of the country was rolling their eyes and saying, "Yes, yes, isn't that nice, you have another trophy," there was still nothing better than being a Bulls fan in Chicago. If the Olympics came to Chicago, it'd be like the championship on steroids. What fun it would be to walk around downtown, sit in a bar with a bunch of Chicago sports fans or just look out at the lakefront and soak in that moment in history.

Oh well. Maybe in a few decades. Maybe when I'm 65 they'll bring the Olympics to Chicago, and I'll be out there in the middle of the crowd high-fiving and yelling "WOOOO!" at everyone I see.

5 comments:

Aunt Lalie said...

I can see it now ... the two of us in our old lady shoes high-fiving all the cute guys and trying to get on TV. Sounds like fun!

nana said...

Maybe you should just hope that the Cubs win, or the Bears. There would be parties, you betcha. No obscenities, please.

Lisa said...

If the Cubs ever win, I will be dishing up a double heapin' helpin' of obscenities.

Aunt Lalie said...

If the Cubs ever win, there sure will be a lot of cussin' and fussin'. I just hope the looting, fires and overturned cars are kept to a minimum.

Genevieve said...

If the Cubbies win, I will turn over some cars and light a few fires in my Dad's honor. He is currently 76. If this happens anytime soon, he could still bail me outta jail!