Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Teachers

I met another mom whose child had Ellie's teacher for first grade. Ellie's teacher has quite the reputation for being strict, no-nonsense, and not real warm and fuzzy. She also has the reputation of being very, very good. So I feel lucky to have her. Come to think of it, we've been very lucky with all of Ellie's teachers so far.

At back-to-school night, the teacher was explaining the rules of the class and the discipline procedures. She added at the end of it, "But don't worry...I can tell this class is going to be great. This is the best class I've had in many years."

I realized that every teacher Ellie ever had told us that same thing. They all said their current class is a wonderful class and the best they've had in a long time. So, are teachers like comedians, telling each audience that they are the best audience and each town that it's the best town? I wonder if a teacher ever said, "Wow, this class is full of brats," or "We're going to have a great year and this class is so well behaved. Except your kid, Mrs. Johnson. He's a pain in my ass already."

Or maybe it's true, and Ellie's classes really do turn out to be a cut above the others. In that case, there can be only one conclusion: It's because Ellie is in them. When she walks into a room, the class is transformed. A mysterious light encircles all the children and casts them in a transcendent glow, throwing aside all of their worst tendencies and leading them toward their best possible futures. The teacher is but a traveler on the journey these children take when Ellie is in class with them. She is the Way and the Light and ....

Nah. That's probably not it.

6 comments:

Aunt G said...

Loved this post!

Aunt Geeeee said...

Oops! Forgot to mention I'm nominating you for a Pulitzer. They have a blog category now, doncha know!?

Aunt Lalie said...

The best teachers truly are the strictest ones. You can't get away with stuff and so you really do have to put your best effort into everything. She will probably think back years from now and say, "I remember my first grade teacher. She was so strict, but she was the best teacher I ever had."

Or it could be the mysterious light that she'll remember.

Aleta said...

LMAO. Great post. My Mom is a teacher and she'll tell me, "This crop is a difficult one." She finds out from the teachers in the grade before her what type of kids she'll have the following year, "Oh, it's a sweet group - or... GREAT READY - it's going to be a hair raising experience!"

Nana said...

I'd be willing to go along with Ellie as the cause of all things wonderful.

Gergery said...

I checked with Anne -- she confirms all teachers lie. They make big lies, and little lies, and bold lies and shy lies. But they all lie.