Monday, October 26, 2009

Whaddya like to read?

I've been reading a novel called Empire Falls, which apparently they made into a miniseries starring Ed Harris. It is really boring me. It is well written and in the genre that I usually like--a slice of life story with interesting characters muddling through difficult circumstances. But it is dull.

So, I've been wondering what you all like in a novel and what holds your interest and what makes you fall asleep. My patience and attention span are shorter than they used to be, and I give up on books earlier than I used to. So that makes me wonder what kind of book I'll end up writing.

Anyway, thought I'd throw that question out there.

5 comments:

Nana said...

What I don't like in a novel is moving the action along by the character asking himself or herself questions, like, "Was this the whole truth yet, or only a part of it?" Anne Perry does this all the time. I love her Victorian mysteries, but this device drives me a bit crazy.

Lee said...

I like plot. Lots of plot. And plot that casts things in your life in different lights which may or may not be accurate. Card's Ender's Game (kids) and Pastwatch (history) are two examples.

But you knew this.

Aunt G said...

Off the top of my head: In a mystery I like to have something come up that makes me believe I have cannily figured out something that the main characters haven't, even if the author is actually leading me astray. I'll have to give some thought to what I like and don't like in other genres.

Gergery said...

I like well-defined interesting characters, with an interesting plot. Memories of an Invisible Man type stuff

Dan Berger said...

I think the kind of writing I like best is the sort that allows you to forget you're reading. The Aubrey/Maturin series is an example of that kind of writing (for me at least). Ultimately I think it's the balance of the elements of writing that make the story work. If the plot is great but the characters are pathetic, no dice. If the characters are deep, but the book is about toaster-ovens (unless they're part of an invading force of aliens, and then only maybe), not my thing.