Wednesday, December 30, 2009

This is why I'm not a teacher

Ellie and I were reading a book about Easter that had some strong religious undertones. She asked me what Easter was about and before thinking, I asked her if she was asking about the religious part of Easter or the non-religious part. She asked, "What's the religious part?"

Then I realized I had walked myself into having to explain crucifixion. I tried to gloss it over by saying that some people killed Jesus and they did it on a Friday and he came back to life on Sunday. And she said, "Oh, is that when they pinned him to a wall?" I said, "Well, it was a cross. But yeah. They pinned him." And she said that she knew about that already. Phew.

We talked about different religions and what they believe, which got complicated very quickly, so we quit talking about that. She said that God died, because he lived thousands of years ago and no one can live for more than, say, 250 years. But even though God is dead, he's up in the sky and he creates everyone.

And I said, "So, you think God creates people and animals and everything?"
She said, "Yes!"
I said, "You mean just poof and you are created?"
She said, "Yes!"

I said, "It's true that a lot of people believe that God creates everyone. But what if I told you that some people believe--and there's actually quite a bit of evidence to show--that people were created by evolving from other animals into people over a period of millions of years? And with the passing of many generations there are slight variations in an animal that over millions of years become big enough changes to create a new animal? What if I told you that?"

She looked at me.

Greg walked into the room and looked at me.

"Maybe this is too complicated to explain," I said to Greg.

"Yep," he answered. I looked at Ellie.

"So, anyway, Easter is about bunnies and eggs and candy. Go to bed."

2 comments:

Aunt G said...

I loved the ending! She's a fortunate little girl to have such smart parents!

Aunt Lalie said...

She's a very smart girl. At some level, she's ruminating about what you've said and she'll have an incredibly insightful comment at some point. And you'll wonder, "Where did that come from?"